The Birth of our 4th…..

2 09 2009

We want to welcome Ethan Roy Ferraro to our family.  He was born on August 28th, 2009 at 10:43 pm.  He weighed a whopping 9 lbs. 2 oz. and was 21 inches long. 

Now, for those that want more details here they are.

We went in to be induced on Friday morning the 28th at 8 am.  They started the antibiotics for the strep B at 9 am.  After a couple hours they started the induction (11 am).  The contractions did not start right away.  It took a few more hours before I was in pain.  Then later in the evening I requested an epidural.  That was going fine until about 8:00 pm or so.  The contractions were coming and I could feel a lot of pressure.  At 9:30 pm I was still at 5 cm….and then bang.  I had a bad contraction.  The Dr. checked me and said….still at 5 cm.  One more contraction she checked me again and I was at 8.5 cm.  One more after that and I was “full” the nurse said.  They did some stuff in the room to get it ready etc.  The Dr. was there the whole time watching me.  At about 10:15 they had me get ready to push. 

I pushed for what felt like an hour (but was only a few minutes).  His head finally dropped and then quickly came out.  The next few minutes are a blur, they mesh together and for everyone there seemed to stand still.  There was no “get the camera moment”, there was no ” Oh, my we have a ________ moment”.  There was no…” come on one more push and your baby will be here” moment either. 

After the head all I remember is pure pain!  Pure fear!  The bed was put into the laying down position.  I remember looking at the ceiling and seeing my dr.s face looking at me.  She was now on the table kneeling over me.  There were two nurses holding down my knees like I was able to do the splits (I can’t do the splits, but they were going to make my body do them anyway).  I remember that Dave was no longer at my side, he was moved from me to make more room for the Dr. and nurses.  I remember looking at my Dr.’s face with pure agony.  I remember closing my eyes and screaming from a pain I have never felt before.

Then there was a baby on my chest, everyone was rubbing him like crazy and I was screaming “It’s blue, It’s blue”.  I never remember being told it was a boy, I don’t even remember caring what it was.  I was in pain and I was hurting.

Come to find out by Dave and my mom the Dr. got on the table and took both her hands and reached in to pull out Ethan.  Dave said she tugged on his neck for awhile and then just took both hands and put them in me to get pull him out.  During that time I tore quite a bit. 

They never planned on him being so big or that his shoulders wouldn’t make it through the birth canal.  Had we known all of this we may have had a c-section, but once the head is delivered the body must be too, there is no going back at that point.

He wasn’t named right away, I was expecting a girl so I didn’t plan on a boys name as much.  I loved Ethan, but I loved Ian as well.   Then after a little bit they said that his sugar was dangerously low.  They wanted us to feed him so much formula etc. which I was not a fan of.  They then told us he was at risk for a seizure or brain damage if it didn’t get up soon.  They allowed me to nurse him then bottle feed him.  If the numbers weren’t up in 20 mins. he was going to the special needs nursery (we were at a birthing center, they didn’t have a nursery for babies, only ones that were sick) for an I.V to get the numbers up.  We are thankful that God took care of it and his numbers went up.   They then took blood every 3 hours for the next 24 hours our of his foot.  His little feet still have scabs all over them from all the pricks etc.

We are thankful for a wonderful baby boy and a God that cares for us in our time of need.  He gives us what we need and is always good to us.

After this birth Ethan got a temperature.  It was low for the next day but at 1 am on Sunday during his vitals check it went to 100.4 (which is high for a 1 day old) so they took a full line of blood cultures on him.  He then lost 6 percent of his body weight by 24 hours old so they were worried about that as well.  He had been on formula (25 cc’s) after each nursing session due to his sugar so they couldn’t figure out why he was losing so much weight.  They decided to keep him until Tuesday (he would have gone home on Sunday) just to make sure the cultures didn’t grow anything.  They didn’t so we were able to finally take our little man home.  God is so good to us!

This is one of our first pictures we have after the birth.  Everything is calm now.

This is one of our first pictures we have after the birth. Everything is calm now.


Sweet baby toes.

Sweet baby toes.


Our sweet Ethan Roy Ferraro

Our sweet Ethan Roy Ferraro


Isaac, Gracelyn and Owen meeting their newest member of the family.

Isaac, Gracelyn and Owen meeting their newest member of the family.


Sweet mommy and daughter time.  This is after she told me "mommy, now that your belly is back you can have a girl."

Sweet mommy and daughter time. This is after she told me "mommy, now that your belly is back you can have a girl."


Ethan wondering if he is going to be lunch for those little people he met earlier in the day when he gets home.  We promised him they won't eat him.

Ethan wondering if he is going to be lunch for those little people he met earlier in the day when he gets home. We promised him they won't eat him.



10 responses

2 09 2009

Oh Becky, what a story. I’m so sorry that you and Ethan had to go through all of that. My sister (OB Nurse) was just telling me about a situation like that at her hospital. SCARY STUFF. Praise God that you are both okay! Home and healthy- exactly they way we want it to be. 🙂 I can’t wait to meet this little guy- maybe on our next trip to Michigan!

3 09 2009

Thanks for sharing Becky. Praise God for the blessing that you both are ok. He was a much bigger baby than I would have assumed based on how you were carrying when you were here in Louisville. Madison was 9 lbs 8 oz and 22 inches long! I hope your body heals quickly and perfectly. At first glance I think that Ethan looks like Isaac but he probably looks like all the kids.

3 09 2009

glad everything worked out okay, becky!

believe it or not, my first (evan) was a big boy that size (8 lbs 15 oz), and he got a little stuck in the birth canal, and after some pretty severe episiotomy cutting, the doctor ended up reaching inside and BREAKING his clavicle to get him out of there!! nothing like having your newborn baby born with a broken collarbone. we had to tape his broken wing to his shirt for about 6 weeks!

so when my ultrasounds were showing that my 2nd (william) was also going to be a big boy, we decided on a c-section to prevent something more than a broken bone (brain damage or worse!) when he weighed in at 10 lbs 7 oz, i knew we made the right choice!

good job on getting him out, mama!

3 09 2009
Rebecca B

Praise God that everything came out okay and that you and Ethan are doing well. I LOVE the baby toes pictures. Praying that you will heal quickly.

4 09 2009
Jill V.

I am so glad everything turned out ok Becky! Thank goodness your Dr knew just what to do in that situation, as crazy at it all seemed in those terrifying moments. With your previous 3 being average sized, I can see why nobody predicted Ethan being so big!! God was looking out for you guys!!! I hope all is going well at home!

5 09 2009

Becky… just thinking about you and I about cried reading the story (even though you had shared it on the phone already)! Love you lots, and I am so thankful for a gracious God that gives and allows so much more than we deserve. I am thankful for your strength and recovery and for the strength of your little Ethan. May he grow to be a wonderful testimony of God’s steadfast love for us. 🙂 Love you, sister.

5 09 2009

I’ve thought about you so much, Becky! Glad you posted on your blog, glad your labor and delivery is done and that you have a healthy baby boy! The Lord is so great! I was at a baby shower last weekend, and some ladies there were telling the mom-to-be that birth was just so amazing and that you never remember the pain. I just stayed quiet, because I still clearly remember the pain from Callie Grace! However, it certainly didn’t stop me from wanting another one, and I am praying that come December, no matter what happens I will have a healthy (hopefully smaller than 9 lbs…) baby boy! :).

6 09 2009

Yay! Yay! Yay! We just got back from vacation, so I haven’t had a chance to comment yet. I am so happy for you all, and I praise God for His provision for you even in the midst of the pain. What a story! You poor thing!

11 09 2009
Leslie DeJ

CONGRATULATIONS! This is the first chance I’ve had to check blogs and see your good news. Your labor sounds absolutely terrible. Is it the worst one you’ve had? I was hoping they always just got easier. You are brave. I am glad God protected you! They did the 72 hour culture just to be sure with Grace, too.

11 09 2009

Yes this was our hardest birth. Mostly because of his size and how wide his shoulders were. My other births were fairly easy…..I mean it was birth, it hurt, but nothing like this one.

Yes, they say that births get easier, but the dr. did say that babies do get bigger and sometimes that can cause problems for mama. We will see what happens the next time (whenever that may be) 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: